Monday, May 4, 2009

Internet Explorer 8 - intranet Compatibility View

If you ever find yourself testing something on Internet Explorer 8 and your testing environment looks different from production, see that you don't have the "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" option checked:

ie8-compat1 ie8-compat copy

 

I read here that the rationale for this "smart default" is to be "compatible with line-of-business applications that expect IE7 behavior", so it seems that they actively decided to punish applications built with standards.

Oh well, I just hope this saves someone a few grey hairs... I lost about half an hour to this today.

1 comment:

Eric Wallace said...

I spent a day and a half trying to find flaws in my CSS that didn't exist. Unfortunately I saw this article after I had found (by sheer luck I might add) that it was Internet Explorer 8's Compatibility Mode that was responsible, not my code.